- Being in covenant w/God does not always mean He is for you or willing to help you – i.e. God does not help the “stiff-necked” Christian (1-3 = God’s commitment to help them would only extend to the promises made to A/I/J; 3 w/Exo 32:9 – “stiff-necked” = stubborn: change resistive w/strong or quick recoil memory; e.g. Exo 32:1).
- Like the world, stiff-necked Christians are: 1) in a dangerous place w/God (3, 5; Heb 12:28-29), 2) on a disastrous path w/o God – i.e. w/o His direct guidance or help in their life (4, 7 versus 8-11; Jud 1:20-21 w/24).
- Showing remorse for our sin is the necessary start, but never the proof of repentance (4-6; Act 26:20).
- Continuing to find favor in God’s sight requires knowing His ways (12-13a).
- God’s direct guidance and help in our life is one of the ways the world knows we are as His people (1b-17; another – Joh 13:34-35; 1Jo 4:12).
- Everyone who has experienced God’s goodness and knows Him according to His Word/Christ has experienced His glory (18-22; 1Pe 2:1-3 = IOW: experience His glory; 2Co 3:18 w/4:6).
- Until sin is completely separate from us, no-one can survive a close encounter w/God (i.e. see His face) (20, 23 w/Isa 6:5; 1Ti 6:16; Rev 22:3-4).
- The things associated w/God’s special/covenantal presence among His people are: 1) His Laws (1, 4, 29 – “the two tablets of the testimony” = The testimony of His covenant relationship w/people. Hence, where there is no law, there is no covenant people/saving relationship), 2) designated sacred space (2-3), 3) proclamation of the covenant as conditional (6-7), 4) reverent worship (8), 5) prayers of confession and supplication (9).
- There is no forgiveness w/o justice (7).
- God’s salvation covenants: 1) strictly prohibit all forms of toleration for the false religions of others including accommodation or expressions of respect (10-15; 1Co 8:4, 7, 10, 10:27), joining in marriage w/them (16; 2Co 6:14-18), possession of their icons/idols (17; e.g. statue of Buddha), 2) specifically prescribe when and what our worship will look like (18-26).
- There is no covenant w/o laws (27-28; Again, where there is no law, there is no covenant people/saving relationship).
- Moses’ shining face was passed to Jesus, indicating Him to be the One we must listen to if we are to be saved – i.e. He is the new way, truth and life (29-35 w/Deu 18:18-20 w/Act 7:35-44 w/Joh 14:6 w/Mat 17:1-5; again 2Co 4:1-6; e.g. Mat 5:17-20; Jesus determines Paul not vice versa – i.e. Evangelicalism).
- Breaking/Forsaking/Profaning God’s designated day of worship is a capital offense (1-3; Exo 31:13-18 w/Heb 10:25 w/Exo 23:12-17, 34:21-23 w/Lev 23:3, Lev 23:1-44).
- What the Lord asks of us is never beyond what we can do or possess and therefore: 1) an indication of our potential (4-5a, 6-20, 22b, 23-25, 26b, 27-28), 2) requires only a willing and committed heart (5b, 21-22a, 26a, 29).
- God’s design for oversight: they practice what they preach/require of others (30-35; 1Pe 5:1-3 = Practicing what they preach/require of others – i.e. being the example, is what keeps God’s leaders from the charge of being domineering/heavy-handed – i.e. a “dictator” or tyrant).
- Skill alone does not qualify a person to serve the Lord w/their gifts. They must also be able to follow instructions (1 w/8-38 w/Exo 26:1-14).
- Generosity alone does not identify a person as repentant. They must also turn from their sins (2-7 w/Exo 32 and 33:3-4; Contrast w/1Chr 29:1-18; e.g. Amo 4:4-5 w/5:4, 21-25; e.g. gangsters/criminals giving large contributions to the RCC).